Monday, February 9, 2015

Tuna Patties with Crisp Veggies and Satay sauce




This recipe is adapted from the ASN Body Transformation recipe list. I liked it because it was mainly tuna and tasted great! A very easy tasty recipe. I have only ever made fish cakes with lots of fillers like potato or flour, but this one relied mostly on tuna, so it seemed more like a 'patty' rather than a 'cake'. 
Delicious!

Ingredients (Makes 9 large patties)
Patties:
2 large cans (425g) tuna (I used tuna in olive oil, but the recipe recommended tuna in spring water for obvious reasons)
1 tsp garlic
1 tsp ginger
1 small grated carrot 
3 eggs
Pinch of Chilli flakes or powder
3 tbsp cornflour

Vegetables:
1/2 bunch broccoli
2 zucchini
2 carrots
1/2 red pepper
1/2 red onion
1 tsp garlic
1 tsp ginger
Salt and pepper

Satay Sauce:
1 cup coconut milk (substitute cottage cheese for a healthier option)
3 tbsp peanut butter
1 tsp each turmeric, coriander, cumin, curry powder

Method


Drain the tuna, then mix all patty ingredients well. 
Form into patties.
Cook patties in a pan with a little oil. 
In the meantime, cut carrot and zucchini into sticks, and chop broccoli into small florets. Slice onion and red pepper thinly. Fry in a small amount of oil with crushed garlic and ginger. Season with salt and pepper. Divide onto plates.
Make the sauce:
Place coconut milk (or cottage cheese), peanut butter and spices into a small saucepan. Stir over a low heat for a short time, until sauce melts together. Remove immediately to prevent the sauce becoming sticky. Pour the sauce over the veggies and place tuna patties on top. 







5 comments:

  1. Made a few changes...

    Used half raw tuna steaks chopped in to 1/4 inch pieces and half can tuna. Basically using the can tuna as my "filler". When patty was made I covered the outside in Panko and seasoned with salt and pepper. I like the crunch from the panko and it browns great.

    I left the cakes at room temperature for 2 hours so that the raw tuna wasn't cold and then seared in a butter/canola oil mix for 2 mins each side on med/high heat (the canola oil stops the button from burning). I didn't want to cook through the cakes I wanted the tuna warm not cooked.

    Finally I made a grilled lemon shallot sauce to go on the side (grilled lemons, EVOO, Dijon mustard, finely chopped raw shallots, splash of NZ honey).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome. My mouth is watering. I'm not a fan of crumbed, but sounds like a nice contrast. The sauce sounds yum! What is EVOO?
      How did the mix of raw and cooked tuna go? It wasn't too weird together?

      Delete
  2. Last point I used an all-clad pan rather than non-stick so I got a better crust. I really wanted a texture difference between the outside (crunchy) and inside (warm and tuna-ery) of the cake.

    ReplyDelete