Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Double Chocolate Muffins

I don't know if you have heard, but Japan has had a butter shortage! My husband found a block of butter finally...after 3 weeks! (But only one per customer!) So this is what I did with it....
These were so yummy! Moist and delicious. My kids and their friends raved about these muffins. I haven't had much success with chocolate muffins before...they always end up dry, but these are just perfect. This is one of Alison Holst's Recipes from her book 'Marvellous Muffins'. I highly recommend this book....all of my favourite muffin recipes come from here. She has worked these out to perfection! Here is the book to buy on Amazon:
Alison Holst's Marvellous Muffins

Ingredients: (New Zealand uses 250ml cups)
1 3/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda (Newbies: NOT baking powder)
1 cup caster sugar (I used ordinary Japanese red label sugar because caster is hard to find)
1/4 cup cocoa

100 grams butter
1 egg
1 cup yoghurt
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp vanilla

1/2 cup chocolate chips

Sift dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
Melt the butter. (I do this in the microwave) Add the remaining ingredients and mix until smooth. (I usually beat the egg first, adding the cold ingredients and melted butter last).
Add the combined liquids to the dry ingredients and fold together until the flour is dampened, but not smooth. (Never over mix!) I add choc chips and fold in.
Divide evenly between 12 medium sized greased muffin pans .

Sprinkle with choc chips if desired before baking. (YES!)
Bake at 200 degrees Celsius for 12 mins. (It took 16 mins in my gas fan forced oven).
Leave to stand in pans for 3 minutes before removing and cooling on a wire rack.
Yum yum yum!! Serve with whipped cream...of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment