Monday, April 21, 2008

Just for Fun! Picnic Sandwiches

Most people know how to make sandwiches...but the dainty sandwiches in Japan are something special! When I first arrived here I used to complain that the sandwiches weren't 'meaty' enough. It just seemed like something was missing...but now I have come to love the bite sized sandwiches here.
The sandwiches at the top: Hard Boil 3 eggs. Chop and mash with 1 tsp mustard, 2-3 tbsp mayonnaise, salt and pepper. Butter each slice of bread lightly, line half the slices with ham (cut to touch the edges), spread egg mixture on top. Chop up one firm tomato and add 4-5 tiny pieces per slice. Top with remaining slice of bread, cut into small triangles or strips, and wrap in plastic wrap to keep fresh.
The sandwiches at the bottom: Boil 3 potatoes until soft. Smash with a fork until almost mashed. Add 3-4 tbsp mayonnaise, finely chopped gherkin (or ready made relish), salt and pepper. Butter each slice of bread lightly, line half the slices with ham (cut to touch the edges), spread potato salad over top, top with one slice of lettuce and remaining slice of bread. Cut as desired.

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean. I got the shock of my life when I first had a dainty little Japanese sandwich. But they grow on you.
    What do you think of adding Vegemite to some of them?! I am sure they'll go down well at a pot luck at SIBC with the Japanese that is ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe...vegemite sucks...marmite rules! hahaha......but either one wouldn't go down to well eh! I could put Miso on them, that would be almost the same???? hehe

    ReplyDelete