Sunday, April 20, 2008

Classic Sponge Cake

It has been 20 years since I made this sponge!! Jo pleaded for me to make him a sponge cake, so I decided to accept the challenge after all those years. To tell you the truth, I had forgotten how basic it was, and how good it tasted!! Don't get me wrong, 'basic' doesn't mean 'easy'. There is not much to a sponge, but HOW it is made is extremely important. This recipe comes up a little 'rustic' compared to the bought variety of sponge. This is by no means the perfect sponge pictured here, like I said, it has been 20 years. But it tasted great. Actually, Jo is the one who did all the beating so I thought he did really well.
The recipe is not a roll cake recipe, but Jo insisted I roll it up....so I did! As you can see there is no swirl in the middle, and the cake makes a full circle because I didn't bake it in a roll cake tin. (A roll cake tin would be wider and allow the sponge to be thinner). It worked out fine all the same. I got this recipe from my faithful Edmonds Cookery Book - the essential guide to cooking for New Zealanders!
As the ingredients are few, it is important you use the best quality.
I prefer Fielder's Cornflour, and I just happened to have 1/2 a cup left in the box to make this! I will have to get some more when I am home. Any cornflour will do, but experiment with different brands until you find the right consistency you like.
Caster Sugar is preferred because it dissolves quickly. I can't buy this in Japan, so I used the ordinary red packet of white sugar.
I only ever use Yotsuba Cream. I am very fussy with my cream, having been brought up on cream skimmed straight off the top of the milk vat. Yotsuba Cream is 47% fat, with no additives or preservatives.
You will need:
3 eggs (I used Medium)
1/2 cup caster sugar
1/2 cup cornflour
2 tsp standard flour
1 tsp baking powder
2oog carton of cream
1/4 tsp vanilla essence
Can of peaches, or fresh fruit

Preheat the oven to 190 degrees Celsius or 180 degrees Celsius for a fan forced oven.
Line the tin with waxed paper.
Separate the eggs. Beat the egg whites until the peaks just fold over when the beater is removed. Slowly add the caster sugar, beating as you add. Continue to beat until the mixture is stiff and the sugar is dissolved. Add the egg yolks. Beat until well blended.
Sift together cornflour, flour and baking powder. (Sift 2 or 3 times for an evenly risen sponge).
FOLD the cornflour mixture into the eggs very gently. Use an up, down and over movement - DON'T STIR.
Pour into prepared tin and bake for 15-20 mins.
TIPS:
* Sponges are ready if they spring back when touched lightly in the centre.
* A sponge always shrinks slightly away from the sides when cooked.
* Allow to cool for 5 mins in the tin before turning onto a cake cooler. Remove lining paper.
* Always have eggs at room temperature.
* From the moment the dry ingredients are added until the time the sponge is put into the oven, speed is essential.
* Some recipes say to drop filled tins before and after removing from the oven.

Decoration: Once sponge has cooled, cut off any over risen parts and eat them, yum.
Whip the cream and vanilla until almost firm. Never over-whip cream, it will become lumpy and grainy looking. If you are used to whipping vegetable fat based creams, be extra careful with real cream - it whips faster. Stop whipping when you think, 'Just a little more...', the cream will harden as you handle it.
Spread cream over sponge leaving a 1 inch space over one edge furthest away from you.
Place fruit in a thin line in center of sponge. Don't over do it, one piece is plenty once rolled.
Lift up edge closest to you and roll sponge away from you. Be ruthless with the first roll forcing it down - the sponge is surprisingly resilient. Roll the rest of the way gently shaping as you go.
Sprinkle with powdered (icing) sugar to finish if desired.

3 comments:

  1. Is there nothing you can't do?! You're such a YUMMY MUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha.....I grew up with my mum saying, 'There's no such word as CAN'T!'....I guess she was right?!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did too but I still can't pull that off! Way to go.

    ReplyDelete